Saturday, January 26, 2013

Vindicated, Relieved, Hopeful


Four people  have mentioned the same book to me in the last 2 months.  All of them listened to the same radio program about strong willed children several weeks back - an episode that I missed but a program I often enjoy.  The first time or 2, I responded - yeah, okay I'll check it out - because honestly, most of the time people tell me about a discipline book or method I just get annoyed.  Most often, common strategies just don't work (or very well, or for very long) with my strong willed child.  However, when I was on the phone catching up w/ a good friend the other day, she became that 4th person.  It finally hit me that God is trying to point something out.  Whenever I hear something multiple times, I know God is telling me something.  So later that day I found the book on Amazon and ordered it.  It came today and I eagerly/reluctantly cracked it open this afternoon.  I have to say -

Finally - a decently written book about strong willed children.  "You Can't Make Me (But I Can Be Persuaded)" by Cynthia Ulrich Tobias.  A strong willed child herself, she grew up to then parent a strong willed child, and explains the mind of the SWC (as she calls it).  Sigh.  I feel vindicated in some strange way.  I am not crazy, or a bad parent - my child is truly incredibly strong willed.  Seriously - on a scale of 1-12 in her book, guess what his score is?  Practically every.single.description just had Bryan and I in laughter.  Seriously - did someone plant hidden cameras in our home? How does she know our child so well???

Anyway, *someone* actually wrote a book who knows what they are talking about.  It's more than just, "If your kid is strong willed - good luck, get on your knees, hope for the best, etc."

Additionally - - someone admits that the typical discipline strategies/fads*don't usually work* for the strong willed child.  I am NOT crazy, and I haven't been doing it all that wrong.  In fact, through blood, sweat, and many tearful prayers, we have actually been doing some things right.  We just have to keep it up and be willing to keep learning.

Feeling vindicated and hopeful tonight.  If any of you have a strong willed child, I'm not half way through the book, but I can already tell it's going to be very good.  I thought you might be interested in hearing about it too, especially if you have an SWC or know someone who does.


No comments: