Wednesday, June 20, 2012

3 Cheers for The Curly Girl Handbook!

Okay,  I'm not going to bore you with the details (see my Facebook page under my post about the baking soda fail if you know me and are really curious), but I will say how much I love The Curly Girl Handbook!  I was lamenting all of my recent hair woes with a friend several weeks back, because I heard she had been using the baking soda wash for a while, when she told me about the book.  At first I was not too excited because I have seen their very, very confusing website  - which can be helpful but is also not well organized.

Anyway, thank God for the book!  There is a whole section for each kind of curl type with detailed instructions on how to care for your curls, including a dvd with video instructions.  This is not going to be an all around review, but let me just say how normal I felt after reading this book!  For years, people have looked at me kind of screwy when I tell them that my hair is actually more curly than not - especially the various hair dressers I've been to. My question has always been, then WHY do you feel the need to blow dry and flat iron my hair like crazy whenever I sit in your chair?!  I know my curls are not terribly uniform and look more enhanced in some areas than others, but it does act more curly than straight most days.

All this to say...I took the book's advice and am living with my weird wavy/curly hair.  I decided a few months back that I just do NOT have time to deal with making it perfectly straight any longer, when that's just not what it is.  I was thrilled that the book encouraged me toward embracing my hair type instead of fighting it. More specifically, it taught me that while my hair may act a bit weird at times, it's natural pattern and response really is curly.  It also gave a VERY simple routine to follow that helps my incredibly sensitive waves actually hold their shape w/ very little effort.  It used to be a daily battle with my hair, but I am over it.  This does not mean that I don't sometimes pull out the flat iron to achieve a certain look, but it is not on a daily, hair damaging basis any longer.  I am learning to live with my locks and love them for what God made them to be, even if they do seem to have a mind of their own.

No comments: