Friday, March 23, 2012

5 Minute Friday: LOUD

5 Minutes and the word is LOUD...Go!

Having children is a live out LOUD experience.  I am not a loud person, well not most of the time anyway.  It's definitely an adjustment for me, even though they are almost 4 and 2 1/2, respectively.  I just often don't know how to calm them down, and I am often reminded that it's me who needs to chill.  So they are loud.  So what?  They are children.

On some degree I think I am learning to get over it, but it is taking me time.  Often when I talk on the phone to one of my siblings (who don't have kids of their own yet), I am reminded by them that our environment is loud...seems they can hear almost everything.  I often respond with surprise because, well, if I feel I can actually carry on a conversation with you then it's not actually that loud.

Thing is, I am just a person who needs quiet.  I live for nap time - literally - some days, and it's not that I don't enjoy my children, I just need a break from the noise.  I honestly have a hard time thinking when it's noisy.  Sometimes I think this is related to the fact that I grew up on a very noisy home, and I mean truly noisy.  The television was on almost all the time, and other circumstances, such as design of our house and relationships between people just made it feel loud all the time.  Not to mention my dad would turn the volume up all the time because he doesn't hear well.

Anyway...all that to say, I like the quiet.  I live for the quiet moments of my day and seek to create a quiet space for my children to grow up in.  I wonder if they'll notice that some day?  I'm also learning that their version of loud and my version of loud is different, and their version isn't necessarily that unsettling, lack of peace kind of loud.  Thankfully, I'm still a work in progress.

STOP!

Okay, truthfully that was more like 7 minutes, oh well : )

No comments: