Thursday, March 22, 2012

Victory in Jesus

This day started out rough.  My oldest is a very strong willed almost 4 year old, and he did and said some things this morning with an incredibly in-my-face defiance that just really got to me.  I know that allowing myself to react is never good for the situation, especially when it relates to this child, but today was just one of those days when I failed to respond in the right way.  Of course that didn't help, and although I brought things back to a general level of control, I was very disappointed in myself all morning even though I tried to pray through it a number of times.

Finally at lunch time, I decided we just needed to hear God's word; so I opened to the Psalms and simply read aloud from a 'random' place.  Although DS was annoyed at this, he mostly cooperated and I kept reading.  When he was ready for his before nap story time, I announced that stories were out for today and I would read one more chapter of the Psalms.  Well, he really didn't like this, but I kept going anyway.  I had the increasing sense that I was doing spiritual warfare and wasn't about to stop - even amid his trying to distract me and act out in order to get his way.  One of the last verses of the chapter (19) was,

"May the words of my mouth, and the meditations of my heart be pleasing to you, oh  God."

Oh how my heart awoke as I recognized my need for the prayer of those words right at that moment!  I knew God was going to give me the strength to get him down, even if he fought with me today, which he did.  All the way up the stairs and into his room, I was met with difficulty, but I had a keen awareness of God's help at this moment.

DS continued to meet me with challenges, but I instructed him to lay down and began to pray.  Oh, how I prayed!  I repented for my previous attitude and actions, I bound Satan from intervening in our family's life, and I proclaimed God's promises for this covenant child.  I reminded Satan of his fate, and I begged God to save my children, this child in particular.  I beseached God to make him a mighty man of God, and I laid him at the throne of grace.  He is, after all, His child, on loan to me.  The most amazing thing happened.  As I prayed, DS calmed down.  He began to lay quiet and suck his fingers (getting ready for sleep).  I ended the prayer and told him goodnight, leaving the room and going back to the Scriptures.

The very next passage I came to was Psalm 20:


Prayer for Victory over Enemies.
For the choir director. A Psalm of David.

May the LORD answer you in the day of trouble!
          May the name of the God of Jacob set you securely on high!

2 May He send you help from the sanctuary
          And support you from Zion!

May He remember all your meal offerings
          And find your burnt offering acceptable! 

Selah.


4 May He grant you your heart’s desire
          And fulfill all your counsel!


5 We will sing for joy over your victory,
          And in the name of our God we will set up our banners.
          May the LORD fulfill all your petitions.


6 Now I know that the LORD saves His anointed;
          He will answer him from His holy heaven
          With the saving strength of His right hand.


7 Some boast in chariots and some in horses,
          But we will boast in the name of the LORD, our God.


8 They have bowed down and fallen,
          But we have risen and stood upright.


9 Save, O LORD;
          May the King answer us in the day we call.

I knew immediately this was an answer to all my prayers of the morning; I am rejoicing!  Being the mother of a strong-willed child can be very, very discouraging at times.  Some days I literally fear for his future (and then repent for that lack of faith).  He can often be so set in his own way that I really do wonder what it will take to teach him to obey (I remind God that it's his job to teach him, through me).  On days like today, I admit that I am often left discouraged and lacking in faith.  Today, however, God finally got a hold of me, and I will remember this day forever.  He has heard my cries!  I believe he has a wonderful plan for my DS's life.  I believe he is going to be a mighty man of God, and I will not fear. Instead I will continue to proclaim what God has shown me.  I am praising God for this answer today.  I will faithfully and joyfully await the fruition of God's promises!  And when I struggle to remember them, may he remind me of this day.

No comments: