Friday, May 25, 2012

5 Minute Friday: Opportunity

I'm linking up this morning with The Gypsy Mama.  "Around here" as they say, we write for 5 minutes flat on whatever comes to mind: no stopping or editing.  Just a free flow from thought to finger tips.  The word today is opportunity.  Go.

I missed an opportunity: saw a sign with too many words to slow down, but read quickly.  
I did my thing, went to pay and she informed me of an opportunity: to financially bless a family, a child, in need.
I did my "Christian" thing and added $5 to my order, smiled, and walked away - not knowing what to say, but at least I did the right thing, right?
Like I needed the rest of that 'miscellaneous' (read: coffee cash) in the first place.
Looking back, I know, deep in my heart: I could have, should have stopped.  Listened.  Learned.  Blessed.  With my heart, ears, mind, soul, strength.  An opportunity to be the hands and feet of Jesus, and looking back, I know: I missed it.  

If I had only been a little more mindful

Lord, forgive me.  Help me to see the hurting mom who needs more than just my money (and could have used a bit more of it), but YOU, the You I could have offered, and somehow...I missed the opportunity to die to myself.

Stop.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I've had lots of missed opportunities. I think when we miss one it makes us more sensitive to seeing the next one that arrives. May you be blessed by being Jesus to one today!

Naomi said...

Agreed Nancy. I'm so thankful for his grace that doesn't judge me based on missed opportunities, but continues to bless me and teach me in spite of them, preparing my heart for another along the way.