Saturday, May 26, 2012

God Hears

God did something cool in our family this last week, and I just want to share and give him praise for hearing what seemed at the time to be a seemingly small and not very significant prayer.

We take our kids to a local family sporting event every Friday evening in the summer.  Yesterday was our second week.  It is a ton of fun, but it's not at a great time.  For our family, it's  right in the middle of our dinner hour.  The husband gets off of work at 5, and when he gets home, we need to head out and get over to the track.  By the time we get back home, it's almost bed time. For this reason, we decided that we would pick up something quick and semi healthy for dinner afterwards.  That way, I don't have to maneuver so much between getting kiddos and dinner ready to go at the same time, and figuring out what we can have that will be satisfying and good to eat immediately upon walking in the door.

However, this particular month has a few extra days tacked onto our bi-weekly cash budget.  You see, we budget some restaurant money every month and stick it in an envelope as part of our envelope system (Dave Ramsey style).  This way, we can limit how much we eat out and how much we spend, because we know sometimes it's just going to happen. We have to budget very carefully this summer if we plan to do Subway every Friday evening.

Only this time we ran out.  Oops.  Here's the thing: when that happens, that's it - no extra spending unless absolutely necessary.

So what's a frugal mama to do?  I prayed that God would somehow work it out.  I sent up an arrow prayer and left it at that.

In actuality, I had practically forgotten about it, even when a coupon for a free take out meal from a local restaurant showed up in the mail a couple days later.  Sweet! We rejoiced - we had a simple, free, and filling option!  It wasn't the most healthy meal, but it could have been worse, and there it was.  Thanks God!

It honestly wasn't until last night after I picked up the meal and was preparing to serve it to my family that I remembered my prayer.  I immediately told my family, "You know what?  I have had a secret this week, and I'm going to share it with you now.  Listen to what God did!" So of course I relayed to them the above story.

Praise the LORD!  He cares about even the small, seemingly insignificant details of our lives.  What a precious reminder to lay all our cares before him.

"Cast your cares upon the Lord, for he cares for you..." 1 Peter 5: 7






No comments: