Monday, April 23, 2012

Update: Morning Routines

Well, after about 3 or 4 weeks (I don't remember when exactly we got started), our morning routine is well under way.  I started with just a couple of simple things that were really 'set in stone' (get dressed/breakfast and Bible, then clean up) and have added 1 or 2 new things every week.  I will be honest: my kids wondered what planet we were on at first.  However, after a few weeks of consistency (read: resolve and obedience to the Lord) from me, they have pretty much come to know what to expect and genuinely enjoy our daily routine.  Here's what it looks like presently:

1. Get up/dressed.

2. Eat breakfast/read the word and pray as a family (note the change: Daddy has taken over this part and we do it during breakfast, instead of after. This has been a phenomenal change in the plan. There is just something about Daddy leading Bible that works so well, and of course I have my theories for why that's so, but I digress).

3. After breakfast (when Hubby is headed to work), we head to the living room and do Bible memory.  We are currently working on Ephesians 6, which is going very well.  Yes, even 2 and 3 year olds can memorize passages of scripture! : ) We also sing a new hymn/song of praise every week.

4. I then look around the main living areas and assess the level of straightening up that needs to be done.  Based on that, I set the kitchen timer for 5-15 minutes and we all get to work.  This is largely a training session right now, but the children are catching on well and doing a great job.  They are even helping me clean the kitchen floor once a week (I 'mop' on my hands and knees with a rag since we have a small kitchen).

5. After cleanup, we do a reading lesson for the almost-4 year old and sometimes a letter lesson for the 2 y.o. if she wants (because she sometimes asks).  I try to keep it no more than 15 minutes.

6. The next part depends on the day.  Sometimes we may have plans with friends or errands to run and so we'll get ready to go. Other days we may  have a variety of activities to do around the house such as: games, free play, crafts, tactile/kinesthetic toys (playdough, bendy sticks, do a dots, etc), play outside, and of course a snack. Most days, it's a combination of many of these things - sometimes changing every 5 minutes (no joke!).

7. Late morning we do another quick clean up and have lunch.  Then it's off to nap time routine and a much needed couple of quiet hours for everyone.

Next week, I hope to add some discussion about the weather and calendar.  We'll see how that goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the practical break down. It's just nice to see what other moms do, and what you're working on. We were doing great at a schedule and I feel like the last month we've not kept it up. So, I'll get back to business with your great encouragement!