Friday, April 27, 2012

5 Minute Friday: Community

It's 5 Minute Friday with The Gypsy Mama again.  We write for 5 minutes on the prompted word for the day without stopping and with no editing.  Today's word is: community.

Go!

I cannot think of the word 'community' without a host of memories from my childhood at Community Bible Church.  We started going there when I was 11, but to me it feels like it was my whole childhood.  CBC truly is a community of Christ followers.  Having been gone for about 10 years now, I still get surrounded by loving faces every single time I return (which sadly these days is less and less).  This body of believers truly taught me what it was to live in community - whether it was our crazy youth group 'stupid' Alan games made up by our creative youth pastor, or everybody's adopted grandparents, I'll call them, "Mr. and Mrs. R."  CBC isn't and wasn't just a place to 'do' church, but it was the hands and feet and heart of Jesus to a rebellious teenager.  They were my cheerleaders the day Pastor Tim baptized  me in the river, and the days they sent me off...to college, to Mexico, and later on to marriage.  Community Bible Church, you will always hold a special place in my heart.

Stop.

2 comments:

Amanda MacB said...

Oh, this makes me think of the church I attended in high school. I went by myself, and there were some precious people who loved and discipled me. Happy memories - thanks for sharing yours.

Julie on an adventure said...

That's great to have those memories from childhood community. Thanks for sharing!